My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties

FORMER LIONITE / GEORGIA PACIFIC BUILDING PARTIALLY COLLAPSES - UPDATED 5-15-23

A portion of the former building that many residents have known as Boise Cascade, Lionite, Georgia Pacific, and a few other company names, but is also referred to as "the mill," collapsed in Phillips on Wednesday, April 5, 2023.  This was not a planned demolition.  It is believed the high winds, freezing rain, and snow may have been a factor, but that has not been confirmed.

Mayor Charles Peterson stated, "With the recent collapse of the north portion of the Phillips Lionite building, the City of Phillips would like to inform everyone that the city is currently working and doing everything possible to encourage the prompt cleanup of the property."

According to the City of Phillips, the owners, Phillips Lionite Wood Products Co, LLC, have been notified by the police department of the collapse.  There is no set timeline for clean-up but that does not mean there will not be one in the future.

Regarding some residents coming up with ideas on things that could be built there if Phillips Lionite Wood Products Co, LLC chose to sell their property or build something new themselves, any new construction would have to comply with current zoning requirements or apply for a variance, if needed.  The shoreline setbacks for the City of Phillips are 75 feet.

UPDATE:  5-15-2023:  Phillips Lionite Wood Products Co, LLC has obtained permits for the removal of the downed structure.

Submitted photos.

Read an update at this link.

MY PRICE COUNTY / MY NORTHERN WISCONSIN HAS REACHED ALMOST 12,000 HOUSEHOLDS; GET FREE NEWS IN YOUR INBOX

Want to see more free news stories, events, help wanted ads, and more?  "Like" the My Price County Facebook page and the My Northern Wisconsin Facebook page.  You can also register to see free news in Price County and beyond.  To sign up to receive our FREE "News Highlights" e-mail, send your e-mail address with "Subscribe" in the subject line to contact@mypricecounty.com  Your privacy is important to us.  We never give away or sell your e-mail address.
(This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 05:21 PM by My Northern Wisconsin.)