My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties

TAYLOR COUNTY:  MAN ARRESTED FOR DEATH OF WOMAN

Shortly after midnight on January 11, 2023, the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office was notified of a structure fire with injures on Clark Drive in the Town of Maplehurst.

Taylor County deputies, along with fire and ambulance services, were dispatched to the scene.  Upon the arrival of the deputies, they discovered that a home-made structure, built from an old camper frame, was on fire.

The owner of the structure, Matthew J. Zarins, was injured while escaping the structure and suffered from burns and other injuries.  Jennifer K. Johnson, from Stanley, Wisconsin, also escaped the structure but was severely burned.  Both parties were transported by ambulance for medical treatment.  Jennifer K. Johnson succumbed to her injuries and passed on.  Matthew J. Zarins recovered from his injuries.

On May 3, 2023, after a three-month long investigation by the Taylor County Sheriff’s Office, Matthew J Zarins was arrested in Loyal, Wisconsin for the death of Jennifer K. Johnson.

Taylor County detectives, with the assistance of the Loyal Police Department and Clark County Sheriff’s Office, entered the residence and located Zarins.  He was hiding in the attic to avoid being found. Zarins was taken into custody without incident.

Zarins faces the following charges in Taylor County:  Homicide by Negligent Handling of a Dangerous Weapon, Class G Felony; Manufacturing of Methamphetamine, Class F Felony; Possession of Materials for Manufacturing Methamphetamine, Class H Felony; Maintaining a Drug Trafficking Place, Class I Felony; and Possession of Waste from Methamphetamine Manufacturing, Class H Felony.

[Image: statewidesewing.jpg]
SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESSES:  The daughter of Jerry, the man who owned Medford Sewing Machines, brings you Statewide Sewing, your online, local source for your sewing needs, plus Packers & Bears merchandise and Hayden Lane hats.  Visit the website of this family-owned and operated business for new & used sewing machines, sewing parts & accessories, notions, and gifts.  Shipping is free for orders over $20.  For promo codes and sewing tips & memes, follow the Statewide Sewing Facebook page.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2023, 07:38 PM by My Northern Wisconsin.)