My Northern Wisconsin

Covering Ashland, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Rusk, Sawyer, Taylor, and Vilas Counties

PHILLIPS HIGH ALUMNA, AMY FLESSERT, COMPETED AT US MASTERS SWIMMING IN JAPAN

Amy Flessert, currently living in Northern Wisconsin, was raised in Phillips.  Her family home was on a lake, which likely played a role with swimming being a huge part of her life then and now.

"I swam with the Phillips Wave from 1992 through high school and college.  I helped with coaching as I got older.  I enjoyed my time working for the Phillips Community Pool as a lifeguard and swim instructor in the past," Amy said.

Amy graduated from Phillips High School in 2003 and went on to attend the University of Wisconsin-Superior.  "I hold my bachelor of science degree in exercise science with a double minor in psychology and health and human performance.  I am a lifetime member of Psi Chi Psychology National Honor Society.  I am a lifetime member of Girl Scouts and a Gold Award recipient."

After college, while working at the YMCA in 2010, Amy was introduced to Masters swimming, which is competitive swimming for those over the age of 18, and she has been an active member of US Masters Swimming since that time.  "I have qualified for Masters swimming championships and gone four times in Montreal, Canada in 2014; Budapest, Hungary in 2017;  Gwangju, South Korea in 2019; and, most recently, Fukuoka, Japan."

The Masters Worlds competition in Japan took place in early August.  She received 10th place for the 800-meter freestyle, which was her first event of the meet.

(Article continues after photos.)

Submitted photos.

"I think one thing about Masters Swimming is I've met people in their 90s that have reminded me of growing up with my grandparents.  On my Masters swim team, in particular, there's who I like to call "Grandma Ann" and "Grandpa Don," she said, enjoying mixing with all the age groups and watching how well people can compete at any age if they stay focused on their goals.

Submitted photos.

At the last Worlds competition in Japan, Amy said her biggest motivator and promise to herself was remembering to be, "110%.  All. The. Way. To. The. End."  She added, "I have never felt more humbled that I fulfilled that promise."

Amy plans to keep swimming, setting more goals, and hopefully breaking more personal bests in the future.

You can share this article on Facebook by clicking this link and then selecting "Share."

HELP WANTED:  Back-up Night Shift Caregivers - Learn more about this job opportunity at this link.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2023, 04:33 PM by My Northern Wisconsin.)